POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fly tying desk(~130K before upload) - Flies.jpg (1/1) : Re: Fly tying desk(~130K before upload) - Flies.jpg (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 13:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fly tying desk(~130K before upload) - Flies.jpg (1/1)
From: Sigmund Kyrre Aas
Date: 15 Jan 2000 18:54:47
Message: <388108C9.2F2B315B@stud.ntnu.no>
Your objects look very promising, but as you say, textures need a bit of
work. I'm not sure what your vise is made of.
I've been using aluminium textures quite a bit, and found them very hard
to get realistic, especially brushed or grinded surfaces.
They are very lighting and surrounding dependant, so I have to tweak for
each new scene. Here's the last one I used, just to give you an idea:

    pigment { colour rgb .92 }
    finish {
        ambient 0
        diffuse 0.5
        reflection 0.1
        brilliance 6
        specular 0.4
        roughness .2
        reflect_metallic     // in the old days:
        reflection_blur .02  // normal { crackle -0.2 scale 0.0002 }
    }

For a new scene I start by changing diffuse (.4-.9), then brilliance
(2-15), specular (.4-.6) and roughness (.001-.3).

Hope this helps,
sig.